Thursday 25 February 2016

Jenny


Had an unusually icky week, health wise. Asked the doc when the shaking will stop? The anxiety? He assured me it will go away when I settle into my new normal. The nausea? Probably a reaction to the anti-depressants, or the worry I feel about where I should move next; what to do when I get there- when I still have no clear plan?

All these unknowns piled up on me this week. Not good. Decided to leave the sorting, packing and hard decision making for another day and take some time for myself:

Slept in.
Visited briefly with a new friend who popped over to look at something I'm selling.
Went to the nail salon and had my mani's cured--had me a neck and shoulder massage as well. Laura has the best hands; always massages my upper chest area, the front of my neck, and under my arms. I forget how long it has been since I've had human touch, until I am touched. The fee was well worth it.

While I was out, I needed to stretch a bit more "me" time out of the day. Treated myself to lunch.

I wanted to see Jenny. I wanted to talk with Jenny. I needed the voice of Jenny.

The thing I adore about Jenny?

She is the same person no matter how her day is going. She exists above the chaos. She has been waiting on me and my family since my kids were three. Going on fifteen years now. She is even keel, on it, and one of the wisest people I know.

As usual, we chatted about our kids. Her son is twenty one now. Never met him, but I know him well.
This young man of hers was raised by a single mother; a waitress that worked two jobs most days to ensure her son had three solid meals every day. Nights were up to the boy. Grandpa was there, but the child knew his boundaries--and he observed them. Mom worked. The boy worked too--at his studies.

A few years ago, that young man of hers?

He was accepted to Berkely.
He was accepted to UCLA.
He was accepted to UCI.
He was accepted to UCSD.

Jenny didn't have to pay a dime. Scholarships and grants came easily, after the boy worked hard.

I asked once, "How did he score so high on the entrance exams?" She humbly took no credit. "He's super smart."  That may be, but I reminded my friend, she instilled in him a healthy work ethic: be proud of what you are doing, no matter what that might be, and apply yourself. The boy witnessed that through his mother's actions. And reflected it.

Asked her what degree he is working for? Thought he wanted to be a doctor, but realized that is not for him. He didn't like UCSD so he transferred back up here to Saddleback until he figures it out.
Planning on attending UCLA in the fall.

What's he gonna study now? I dunno. Its up to him. He could do anything. But he loves school. Likes being on campus, in classrooms, completing his work. I encouraged him to teach. Told him when we don't follow our natural path, that is when the problems start. He needs to go and be where he feels at peace.

The takeaway from my lunch? Jenny didn't panic; she remained centered and confident her brilliant son will find his way, on his own terms. When he stops resisting, he will find his passion and his peace.

Such wise advice: when we don't follow our natural path, that is when the problems start.

I enjoyed my morning pampering my aching self, but my time with my dear friend Jenny? Her calm, logical, rational words of truth? THAT was just what I needed to ease my worried mind.

Gonna go and search until I find where it is I feel at peace. Naturally. Cuz this girl has taken the path to "problems" and she doesn't wanna do that ever again.

Thank you, Jenny!






2 comments:

  1. We are neighbors! I, too, blog, write. Found you on Feminine Collective. Just read The Good Girl and the Gun Runner. You are a true survivor and a remarkably talented writer. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to meet you in person. Shall we have coffee one morning? :-)

    ReplyDelete