Monday 1 February 2016

Her name was JOY

As she stepped inside my home tonight, I could see she wasn't in a hurry. Seemed to want to linger a bit. Came to pick up a beautiful angel snow globe I sold her on a local mom to mom sales site.

She inquired about a couple of other things I had listed. While I searched for them, she asked if I had any Christmas decorations I was willing to sell her? (Her sister was struggling and could only afford stockings this year for her kids).  Me? Christmas decorations? Um, yeah, just a few.

I invited her out to my garage and let her peak into one of my bins. Told her she could have a couple of things right off that caught her eye. Said, "Give me a week, and I'll have some more. No charge." She was sweetly surprised, sincerely appreciative.

Joy asked me why I was selling things? I kept it simple: gonna be an empty nester soon. Downsizing. And then we stood in my garage and chatted for an hour.

I discovered my new friend has seven children. Blended family. Took her four years to get the courage to leave the first marriage. Took a year longer for the tears to come. Realized she had been living in a numb state so long, when she started living again, the flood gates opened.

That's what happens: You live a certain way for so long, you don't realize you have stopped feeling altogether.

Our stories were similar. I adored her open heart. Told her we need to have lunch.

Then I inquired which church she attended? I smiled. Knew there was something "sisterly" about her the minute we met. So warm.

We women need each other.
We women need each other's attention spans.
We women need each other's consideration.
We women are all trying in our own ways to be a "proper wife and mother".
We women listen and understand.
We women get we need to talk it all out.

That's what we do best!

You know, I set about to clear our my cabinets last week to lighten my load, but the decision to take the money and perform charitable acts with it, turns out, lightened the load of a handful of others.

Blessing abound!

I know without a doubt, there was an important reason that woman was drawn to my home tonight. Made a new friend. Hopefully, she feels the same.

I have met the nicest ladies here locally through these sales. Just lovely...

Tonight, the woman's name was JOY.
How perfect is that?




No comments:

Post a Comment